Sunday, November 20, 2011

New Zealand, You Had Me at Hello

Another reason that I decided to come to New Zealand was because my friend Danna wanted to go. As we both tried to figure out the best way to get there, our situations pulled us apart. I didn't want to keep waiting around Edmonton for an opportunity to leave, and Danna wanted to stay home for Christmas. I was close to booking a plane ticket for November when I started to bug my friend Chantal about coming. I made snarky little comments at every chance I got about her coming with me, but I didn't think they were actually working until she called me up and said she actually wanted to come. Look at how that peer pressure paid off! I have a travel buddy!

The flight from Edmonton to Vancouver was unremarkable. Point A to Point B. The excitement began in Vancouver's airport where our destination was in sight. Normally, I get no pleasure out of flying. Being cramped up for 14 hours with no leg room is never something to look forward to. But Air New Zealand was actually entertaining. I flew to Australia through Auckland a few years ago, but I only remember the amazing in-flight entertainment system. The pre take-off safety procedures video was filmed with the All Blacks – New Zealand's national rugby team and was absolutely hilarious and cheeky. I usually flip through a magazine while I am told how to fasten an oxygen mask, but this one had me laughing as the huge rugby players tried to help a cheering granny to her seat. The dinner meal was delicious, and came with a second glass of New Zealand wine. At the start of our flight, we were given the chance to take a new Zealand themed quiz that had Chantal and I studying up on Kiwi trivia from my Lonely Planet book. Did you know that New Zealand has their own native Christmas trees called Pohutukawa that have large red blossoms every December? I didn't. Even the Air Hosts had bright coloured uniforms with Pacific-style patterns. By the time we landed in Auckland, I felt entirely welcomed to the country, which was a big difference from other airlines that I've flown with. Is this the start of the fabled Kiwi hospitality?

No comments:

Post a Comment