Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fruit Trees

If I ever own a house with a large yard in a temperate climate, I am going to fill it with fruit trees.  I really don't know how I'm going to cope this summer in Edmonton when the only fruit that grows in my backyard is apples.  And they only ripen in late August. 

Here in Nelson, I have been able to enjoy nashi pears, tangellos, feijoas, apples, lemons, avocados, and walnuts all straight from the tree. These in turn have been turned into gelatos, dessert crumbles, freshly squeezed juice, and guacamole.  On ground level, there is an abundance of spices like bayleaf, parsley, and rosemary growing everywhere.  It's also a nice treat that even though we're well into autumn, there is no frost and the garden in the back is still producing tomatoes, zucchini, and lettuce.

Buying these things in a supermarket is just not as fulfilling.  Edmonton, why must you insist on being so far north?! 


No comments:

Post a Comment