Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Decisions Decisions

When I originally purchased my flight to New Zealand, there was a seat sale that allowed for a 6 month trip to the country. I decided to jump on it, because if I wanted to come home in 6 months, I'd get a cheaper ticket, and if I decided to stay, well, I would be ready to upgrade my ticket. When I first got here, I immediately wanted to stay as long as possible. But starting in late January, I started thinking about coming home for a triple summer. (Did you catch that? Triple summer) Anyways, after weighing pros and cons, listening to my gut, ignoring my gut, being logical and then emotional, I have decided to come home after 6 months to save up money for.. you guessed it, more travel.

Because I want to come home in three months, I only want a job for two months. Because I want a job for two months, no one will hire me. I have poured over the job boards and not been successful, and as the weeks have gone by, I am now going to be gone from Nelson in less than two months. So I have given up.   I have found a few odd jobs here and there that give me money for groceries and the occasional activity, but a real deal pay cheque is not in the works. I'm okay with this, because I know I can go back to my old job when I return to Edmonton and will eventually start filling my bank account instead of draining it.  Also, I first decided to go home and then couldn't get a job, so I don't feel too defeated.  In a perfect world I would stay here for a year, but as it is, the call of other countries is too strong and I guess I can “deal with” a beautiful summer in Edmonton, hanging with friends, heading to the mountains, going to festivals, and enjoying the prairie thunderstorms that are sorely missing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment