Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY


I have been able to cook from a young age. Both of my parents know how to whip a meal together, and I took the Foods option in school from grade 7-12 (Hello? Free food? Why wouldn't you take it?).  Still, I usually don't do a lot of intense cooking, and I blame this on pure laziness.  Apart from from the occasional cupcake or chocolate chip cookie craving, I don't bake very often.  Dinners I make for myself usually consist of pasta and whatever sauce is around. It helps that when I am home, I have 3 other people in the house who make well-rounded, delicious dinners and baking so my cravings are satisfied.  Here in New Zealand it is just me, myself, and I. One of the best parts of living here is access to a full kitchen. Baking and cooking always require small amounts of ingredients that come in large bottles, or kitchen instruments that you never find in a hostel kitchen. Warwick House has inspired the chef within. We offer a plate of cookies to guests when they check in, so some days I have spent my working hours baking for accomodation. Shortbread, chocolate almond drops, gluten-free cookies, you name it, I'll bake it.
Jenny heard about the Easy-Yo Yogurt maker from a friend, where you can make yogurt yourself using water and some powder that you buy in a grocery store. It halves the cost of buying a ready made container in the store. My curiousity had me open the box first and try the first batch.  Since then, I have become resident yogurt maker.
The wonderful latitude here in New Zealand means there are a lot of fruit trees around. There is a lemon tree in the front yard, and since Jenny had some white wine that was going bad, I made lemon gelato. There is a Nashi Pear tree out at the beach house, which produced bags and bags of the fruit. We brought them home one day and Jenny wondered aloud what we should do with them all.  Channelling my mom's delicious dessert spirit, I offered to make a crisp. Jenny said yes, and after the first dish was devoured, I made four more for the hungry house.
Occasionally, the Warwick House hosts a high tea in their ballroom. We had one last week and I was on scone duty. I had made the occasional scone out of Bisquick in my youth, but I can't remember ever making them from scratch. My trial bake produced tasty scones, but they were a bit too small. The scones on the day of the High Tea were, according to Jenny, perfectly raised, perfectly fluffy, and perfectly browned.  I will add this skill to my CV.
I also have a job to help out a family who is friends with Nick and Jenny.  I go over for a few hours a week to help with cleaning and watching the kids.  The mom is Jane, and she leaves recipes out for me tackle, so I've been cooking even more.  Meatloaf, blueberry muffins, dahl, cauliflower bake.. I can do it all.
I am really hoping to keep this energy going for when I come home again.  It's nice to run out to the garden and grab fresh spices like parsley, bayleaf, and rosemary.  I'm still a bit useless at gardening, but I want to try to motivate myself to learn more about it for this summer in Edmonton.  I'm also half tempted to follow in Jane's footsteps and install a chicken coop in my backyard.  Fresh eggs anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment