Saturday, May 5, 2012

Crayfish

After the glacier hike, I dropped off the Germans and went for a walk around town. I ran into Cam, the Magic Bus driver who took me from Nelson to Greymouth. Along the Magic route that day, they stopped at a Whitebait shack to try the special New Zealand cuisine. A fisherman came in while they were there with a whole bucket full of crayfish. You can't sell these lobster-like creatures without a permit in New Zealand, so he decided to just give the Magic Bus two of them to let the travellers try some. Since I was technically a magic passenger, Cam invited me out to the dinner that night where I ate my fill of crayfish. The funny thing about these creatures is that they can sell for up to $80/kg. I had my first crayfish feast for free in Kaikoura after Chantal went fishing, and I here I was managing to score another free feast. And so, even when I am not travelling on it, the Magic Bus wins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment