Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Wild West Coast, Take Two

I am a contradictory traveller.  I like the idea of travelling on a whim, of finding some magical place randomly and having the flexibility to stay as long as I want.  On the other hand, when I don't have a set plan in place, I stress out.  Mini anxiety attacks start rolling in and I complain to anyone who will listen.  These kind ears tell me to relax, which I don't, and I inevitably book everything in one go.

Having said that, I want to travel the South Island on a whim.  I already have my Magic Bus pass that will take me to most places I want to go for free.  The only problem is that I don't really want to stick to the Magic itinerary since I've already travelled on it before.  However, with a lack of a better plan, I have started my trip back on the bus.  Today we went from Nelson to Greymouth.  Last time I did this journey, I was feeling a bit burnt out, there was an intense fog settled over the entire region, and I could not keep my eyes open while the bus was moving.

Today, I started out with fresh touristy energy, the sky was bright blue, and I easily stayed awake for the entire journey.  The road from Westport to Greymouth, which locals call the Ocean Road, has been dubbed by Lonely Planet to be one of the top ten road trips in the world.  As I said, my last trip along this road was masked in fog and rain.  This time I could definitely agree with Lonely Planet.  The road winds along the coast perched on higher cliffs that offer amazing vistas of the small rocky outshoots and peninsulas that break up the coastline.  The road is the only clear path though, as the rocks are covered in the beautiful green New Zealand bush.  To make it even better, this scenic route ends at the Punakaiki (or Pancake) Rocks, which are a geological marvel.  As the name suggests, they are rocks stacked on top of eachother by nature.  I can't really do this area justice with my words, or even my pictures.  If I haven't convinced you by this point, just come to New Zealand already.





No comments:

Post a Comment