Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Keys of Life

Still running off my emotional high, I was driving north of Christchurch when I saw someone looking for a ride on the side of the road. I quickly pulled over, and one of those working men with a long beard and a grizzled appearance hopped into the car. Pulling over was more of a reflex than a conscious decision, and if I had seen the person before pulling over, I probably would have 'judged the book by its cover' and kept driving. Instead, I had an amazing afternoon thanks to this guy. Pete was born on the North Island, and joined the military as a youth due to his itchy feet. His service took him all over Asia and even down to Antarctica. When he was back in New Zealand, he trained as a welder and has been living on the South Island for about 13 years now. The southerners are just starting to accept him too. He spent 9 and a half years in Queenstown living on the Frankton arm and spending his free time taking friends out on his boat to the hidden island on Lake Wakatipu, which is just as cool as it sounds. After his time there, he decided to move up the coast to Westport, where he has really fallen in love with the community that has been home for the past 3 years. Pete has had a lot of problems with his teeth throughout his life, and in the past year or so they were giving him unbearable pain. When I picked him up, he was just on his way home from a weekend trip to Dunedin to get them all pulled. He is going to spend the next year letting his gums heal and saving up the money needed to get dentures.

Conversation flowed easily, and along the way, I wanted to stop in at Hanmer Springs to see what the town was like. Pete had never been there and was up for coming along. When we got there, he insisted on buying me a coffee and snack and we walked around to see the sights. The biggest draw are the hot springs similar to those found in the Rocky Mountains. Pete was impressed with the springs and the town, and was set on returning with some friends for a weekend. The drive and conversation continued about life, the universe, and everything. At one point, he asked if he could share a song he wrote called “The Keys of Life”. He apologized for not having his guitar, but then broke into a beautiful folky song while strumming on his air guitar. Shortly after, we came to the junction where we had to part, and he insisted on pushing forty dollars into my hand and thanking me for a memorable afternoon with great conversation.

I don't think I would have initiated conversation with a person like this in any other circumstance. As it turned out, I feel incredibly privileged for the afternoon we shared. I just cannot begin to express how much the human connections I have experienced in the past few days are putting me right on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment