Saturday, January 21, 2012

Exhausted in Whangerei

Standing outside all day while dancing harder than anyone really should in public without eating very much is enough to exhaust anyone.  So in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have booked myself onto a Magic Bus tour of the Bay of Islands where I had to be picked up at 7:30 the morning after Big Day Out.  After about 5 hours of sleep, I dragged myself out of bed, packed up all of my overwhelming shit, and headed out.  (I really need to ditch some stuff in my backpack.) 
I decided to jump off the Magic Bus at Whangerei, which is a launching point for some world class diving.  I have no interest in diving, but some of the walking trails around town seemed cool, so I booked myself a room at the Bunkdown Lodge Backpackers.  The backpackers is a 100 year old Kauri Villa that was  originally used as a doctor's office and surgery, but 13 years ago the present owners renovated it into the backpackers.  You can see the care that has gone into the place from the hand carved baseboards to the upkeep today.  It is a very refreshing place to come after staying in the massive commercial hostel in Auckland (and nice to be in a house after a month in prison).
Because I arrived so early, my room wasn't ready.  I felt a bit delirious with lack of sleep, and felt awkward about sleeping on a couch in the backpackers (this was probably due to the lack of sleep. Normally I can sleep anywhere).  Anyways, I headed into town and contemplated finding a park somewhere to pass out in.  Instead, I stumbled upon the Town Basin, which is where the Whangerei townsite started.  There's a marina, restaurants, boutiques, and cool museums along the basin and the charm of the place made me forget how tired I was for a while.  It didn't last long though, so after a quick pit stop at the supermarket I headed back.  The walk should have only taken around twenty minutes, but I dragged my feet so much I think the time doubled.  My room was ready when I got back, but I started to watch a movie in the sitting area and just passed out on the couch for a solid two hours.  Glorious nap was glorious.  Hello world, I'm ready to deal with you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment