Friday, January 27, 2012

Hammock in Hokianga

Mostly to avoid staying longer in Auckland than I have to, I booked myself into the last place the Magic Bus stops on its tour of the North. The towns closest to where I am staying are Omapere and Opononi, but the entire bay area is known as Hokianga, which is on the west coast of the Northland. The backpackers I am staying at is called Globe Trekkers, and is owned by Mike and Sue. Similar to the one in Whangerei, the place is family owned and operated and feels more like a house than a backpackers which I really have come to appreciate. They have a English man named John who stays here for 6 months of the year, and spends the other 6 months enjoying his summers in England. He is an interesting and slightly eccentric old guy who is always up for a long conversation where he does most of the talking. Yesterday he told me explicitly that my English Degree is useless, but today he said he would like to figure out what makes a novel 'the best' instead of just 'good'. Well John, English degree over here can help you figure that one out.

This place has a great view of the ocean, lots of hiking trails, and really has that “away from it all” feeling. There isn't even an ATM here. But I mainly love it for the hammock that is hanging out by the patio. I plan to spend all of my time in it, reading my book and enjoying the sunshine in peace and quiet before I head to Auckland for a week. Lethargy, thy name is Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment