Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Foot Hurts. Oh and I went to Russell

On my last day in the Bay of Islands, I wanted to do a 10 km hike, check out the town across the bay called Russell, go for a swim, and read my book. As it happened, that cut on the bottom of my foot that I got at Big Day Out did not like the sand exfoliation I gave it yesterday at Cape Reinga, and it was hurting more than ever. I also had my cell phone glued to my hand since I was waiting for a phone call from a potential employer (which never came). So I didn't manage to make the 10 km walk or go for a swim, but I had a great day nonetheless.

I got on a ferry over to Russell before noon, and had a good time wandering around exploring the town. When the Europeans settled in the area, Russell was known as the hell-hole of New Zealand because of all the drinking and prostitution that went on there. That time is long gone, and now Russell is just a quaint little beach village. On the other side of the peninsula from the ferry docks is Long Beach, which is a beautiful bay area with blue sparkly water and golden sand. I didn't have my swim suit and didn't want to miss the call, so I admired the water from afar and worked on my tan. Let me tell you, it was a challenge to not jump in the water.

I had been texting Chantal during the day, and she scolded me for not telling Omi I was in town. (Omi is from Christchurch, and she met Chantal when they worked in Fiji together seven years ago. We met up with her and her husband Ben when we visited Christchurch. Omi and Ben moved to Keri Keri in the Bay of Islands from Christchurch a week before I got there). I didn't necessarily feel like bothering Chantal's friend when Chantal wasn't there anymore, but I sent Omi a text anyways praising her beautiful choice of a place to live. This was automatically responded with “Are you here? Do you need a place to stay? Do you want to come over for dinner?” Canadians really need to pick up on this hospitality thing that Kiwi's have going on. Omi, Ben, and I ended up meeting in Paihia for pizza on the waterfront, which was a lovely way to spend my last night in the Bay of Islands with a few friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment