Monday, February 6, 2012

A Belated Reflection on 2011

I meant to do a classic 'reflection' blog post around New Years that looked back on 2011, but I got distracted with other things and forgot. So I'm going to do it now.

2011 was an amazing year for me. My biggest passion in life right now is travel, and I definitely travelled a lot. In February I went to Florida for Reading Week and spent a week in the sun exploring Harry Potter World, Universal Studios, and Disney World. I was accepted into a Spring study abroad program that allowed me to explore France for seven weeks in May and June. When I was there, I received the final credits for my degree by learning the French language and culture while immersed in the country itself. In the beginning of August, I went to BC for a week to experience the wonders of Shambhala Music Festival and at the end of the month, I escaped to Jasper for a few days of fresh mountain air. In September, I went on a West Coast trip with Trish and Jill, and caught up with friends and family in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland. And of course, I finished off the last month and a half of the year here in New Zealand.

Other than that, I had a fantastic summer in Edmonton with my friends that continued on into the first Fall I can remember that didn't come with the stress of school. Right as I was preparing to leave Edmonton, I realized I was going to miss it for the first time since I started travelling on my own. It is really nice to feel an attachment to a place and the people in it. In November I convocated from the U of A with an English Degree which was the close of another chapter in my life. My first job in New Zealand was to be a writer, which felt amazingly self-affirming in that I obviously did something right during my degree.

As the year drew to a close and everyone around me reflected on how their own year went, I realized 2011 was one of the best years of my life. The only bad thing was the passing of my grandfather, which happened exactly a year ago today. My dear Gido has been on my mind for the past few days. If he was still here, I figure he'd be like my Baba, and not really understand why I continue to want to travel when I've already gone places. It's time for a house and husband! But really, whenever I talk to my Baba I just hear the excitement in her voice to talk to me and to hear I'm having a good time. And a good time I'm having. Here's to you, Gido.

2012 has already been full of communing with nature, meeting new people, great live music, new and unique experiences, and the best crazy dancing. Plans for my future are open to pretty much anything in the world. I am so lucky to have the life I do along with the support of my wonderful friends and family.  I can only hope that the rest of the year will be as spectacular as the first month has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment