Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Happy? Hippie. Happy Hippie!

When we went for dinner at the pub in Taupo, there were about three tables full of people from the Magic Bus. As the night went on, numbers started to dwindle and Danna went to join another table as I was deep in conversation with a couple from England. Ruth and Frank decided to head back to the backpackers around 10, and I went to the bathroom. When Danna noticed our table was empty, she became concerned, so she asked Russ, another Magic Bus driver, if he had seen me. He responded in a thick Kiwi accent, and the conversation went like this:

Russ: Does she have a nose ring?
Danna: Yes!
Russ: Is she wearing a green knit sweater?
Danna: Yes!!!
Russ: Is she a happy?
Danna: Is she happy? Yes?
Russ: No, is she a hap-pie?
Danna: Yeah, she's happy.
Russ: Is she a HIP-PAY?
Danna: OH!! Sure..

When I got back to the table, everyone shouted “Heyyy! Hippie!!!” And made room for me to sit down. I really didn't understand where the nickname came from, but I was referred to only as 'Hippie' for the rest of the night. I have always joked that I am a hippie, but I thought I was the only one who thought so. The backstory didn't come out until I asked Danna the next day. My wonderful dirty backpacker lifestyle has finally made my the hippie I know inside become visible on the outside. I'm kind of proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment